Sunday, November 6, 2011

An Email to God

This is an article of mine published in my college magazine after I left college...Well, I edited (updated)it a bit. SO I took on the onus of writing am email to God to make him a little happy. I mean after all the anarchy around us, he too needs a little cheering up now, doesn't He? Read on to find out how to write an email to the actual Boss-GOD...comment on this post, as God, too, will be reading.

Dear God,

Hi! I hope it is not inappropriate to say ‘hi’ to the Omnipotent. But then if there are bollywood dances being performed at the Royal Wedding, in front of the Firm, the equivalent of you in the Kingdom of the west, then propriety needs to be redefined. You would wonder why an email? Well, with all the clamour of worldly noises surrounding you, it has been difficult reaching to you using the mundane methods- prayers, pujas, havans, etc. And I thought if man could progress from wired telephony, to cell-phony (and even to plain ‘phony’, You would agree), why could You not switch to more convenient media? You would be wondering why I am blabbering without any rhyme or reason, as You must be having a lot on Your agenda. Well, I have no favours to ask of You, and I don’t say this in a manner a certain angry young man from the movie-biz said. I am here to take care of You. I know, I know, You are the Caretaker, You don’t need one. But in troubled times like these, where a certain old man called Anna Hazare pulls off a Gandhi (almost a Gandhi); where chief minister after chief minister is declared to be a plunderer; where countries are still trying to see the light of freedom; where discrimination on the basis of caste, creed, sex is still rampant- you sure deserve a little entertainment. Do I promise a paisa vasool entertainer? Well, I am at least sure that you will get your money’s worth unlike the audiences of Ra.ONE.

So here is the plan. I have surveyed a few of my friends, foes, kith and kin, and asked them what they were happy about in the last year or two. With this I am trying to send you positive vibes that you  must be devoid of in this ‘Apple’ age, and yeah, I aint talking about the fruit of wisdom. So please keep up. Well, let me begin then. Something that you should know is that even in this sullen world, there are people who are partying hard. And with people, I mean my fellow TSECites. They partied, God, for various reasons- placements, last DJs in the festivals, farewell and mostly Goa. You can afford to live in a paradise, we cannot afford a 1BHK in the far off suburbs of even Navi Mumbai, but we can sure go on a trip to paradise. Off they all went, to goa, but on different dates and did a few devious things there, but I won’t mention them to you as they might upset you. But just watch Dum Maaro Dum for details. I can send you a pirated torrent link if your internet is fast enough!

Dancing, goa, partying and all must seem quite frivolous to you, I agree. But, God, when these just about to pass out BE s were and still are saying their parting words, you can see true friendship surface. It is amusing to see the college jocks, who would otherwise be stoic and never display any emotion, do an uninhibited Shabana Azmi and letting their expressive side out. The relief students had on their faces when their final journals were certified, was a moment I hope you did not miss out on. If you did, then go on to facebook and check out a few of IT students’ photos, theirs was a battle worth watching. The other refreshing change was that no one played papa kehte hai bada naam during these last few days. It has become extremely hackneyed, if you have it on your ipod, please remove it!

It was a proud moment for the country to bring home the World Cup. For that, we all owe you one! People were running down the streets and were making merry as if there was no tomorrow. Sachin Tendulkar is the new you, if you read the local dailies. Please, don’t be jealous of all the attention he is getting. He deserves it and you know it! Although I do have a petition to make- please give the poor journalists some sense so as to not abbreviate Dhoni’s name as MSD, sounds more like LSD! It is very denigrating and an unfortunate combination of alphabets to form someone’s initials.

Another thing that would please you was that this few weeks there was no or very little of Rakhi Sawant on television. I am not bad-mouthing Rakhi, but then it was becoming too much of her everywhere. She had become Omnipresent and considered herself Omnipotent, I am sure. Then again, Dolly Bhindra filled in her shoes, socks and what not, and kept us in splits with her antics. She has inspired many a scientist to find the missing link between apes and humans. But kudos to her, it was brave of her to come on national television without any make-up. It sent down chills down our spines. 

There were many more things that made me and people happy-Natural ice cream’s new flavours; the sale at Vero Moda; the Galaxy tab, I pad’s cheap cousin; the drops of rain water across my face when I first drove my bike in Mumbai; my father’s face when I wrote a story book for him; me and my best friend rejoicing on being part of the same company (2 of them); my neighbour when she realised she was cured of breast cancer; and the list is endless. I hope you did notice that happiness is found only if one sets out to find it. It is not God-gifted (pun intended). I regaled in these small, unassuming things and smiled everyday not worrying about the problems and tribulations that engulfed me. Because you know it, there were many! Isn’t that what it’s all about at the end of the day- the self-realization that no one but you yourself is the cause of happiness or sadness. So buck up old man, and go on a vacation (Goa). The world will rotate around its own axis without you. Forget about the corruption scams, recessions, global-warming and rejoice in your own name. You are God and you can do anything. If you are happy and mirthful up there, it will surely reverberate down on us!
Love to the kids and missus!
Rohit...(surname is too big L)
PS- Where did i get your email id? Let’s just say I have my sources! Don’t worry, I won’t publicise it!
:-P

 

9 comments:

  1. Like it.I am sure God must ve liked it if he actually read it

    ReplyDelete
  2. ur blog has to contain sumthng red only reason i lated to bollywood thts d reason i like it....ask sachin to like ur blog as u mentioned "sachin is new you"....loved it

    ReplyDelete
  3. ur blog has to contain sumthng related to bollywood thts d reason i like it....ask sachin to Like(+1) ur blog as u mentioned "sachin is new you"....loved it

    sry i made a mistake in d above Comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The last para was the best!!!Though it was so lenghty you just feel like reading it till the end...Nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. the best line " happiness is found only if one sets out to find it"...super like..:)..keep writing and we shall keep reading...:D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the line "Off they went to goa but on different dates...." It makes me laugh! But, God would love to read this... And yeah one tip: Keep smiling even if u have a hell lot of burden or trouble on you...The problems get solved apne aap :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this piece! its one of ur best! keep writing..and know that god is watching you :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. awesome read... :) though i am a bit late in discovering it ... n i feel ur pain in d surname :( is annoying smtyms ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL...thanks for reading it anyways-small towner

    ReplyDelete