Friday, June 14, 2013

Onions are Us!

When I was a kid my father once told me that humans were like onions-layered. I am pretty sure that this was not his own creativity, but borrowed. However, those words stuck with me, but for a different reason, as at that point of time all that I associated with onions was stench, tears and a distasteful flavor. And funnily enough, that’s pretty much all I can associate with humans.
On a pessimistic day, like today, I think beneath all the layers of deceit and pungency, lies, well, nothing. I mean you peel, and peel, and peel- to get nothing. On an optimistic day, I tend to examine the layers up close. And trust me, then too, it’s not all hunky dory.
Just like the exterior of an onion, dry and deceptive, we humans too feign fake emotion, a façade. You can be what you want to be, but only for some time. Just as easy it is to peel off those outer layers; it is as simple to unearth the person beneath. It takes only a coffee date or two to know that your girlfriend belongs to the female canine species or your boyfriend, in simple English, is a dog. But you still continue to meet. Because you are a peeler! You want to see the layers, slowly uncovering every little annoyance about the person. Yet to continue with the hope of a juicy center, but it’s all hollow.
I frankly sometimes don’t see the point in knowing a person so deeply because what you are ultimately going to end up with is the hollow core. But then with a vivid mind when I think, I realize it’s the process of chopping/dicing/slicing all the layers that helps you connect with the person’s particular trait (good and ugly) that even you possess.
However jittery, hurtful, irritating, and painful the path of self-discovery is, the path of excavating someone else is sadistically easier, joyful, and critical.
 So be mindful while you peel of your onions, because while you are teary-eyed busy doing so, someone else is un-layering you!

PS: Ah well, all this from an onion that just got slaughtered and fried by me!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this would be the same old onion analogy, but u add a great point to it... The way I see it, (and trust me i just typed that - pun unintended, and noticed that it was same as your blog name just when I was about to press Publish. Guess u should write more often :P), humans are not as simple as layers of an onion.

    When you are peeling off layers of personality from someone and discovering them, you are also changing them in maybe small but important ways. It could be a butterfly effect, or it could be a great impact too. Sometimes you may even find something in that hollow you never expected, or the hollow could be your own Frankenstein. Credits to this thought- Shantaram and teen romances that I have seen take shape around me.

    Maybe you can think about this and follow up with another great article. Try to keep writing :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, you should write a blog of your own! I am sure it will be loved by one and all

      Delete