Monday, February 20, 2012

Have Feet...MUST Dance


Tomorrow, when half of the world gets Monday morning blues (half because there are a few geeks who like Mondays), I DON’T. Reason-HIP HOP dance session in the evening. The eventuality of the dance session keeps me going throughout the day. It is not just because I have regaled and thoroughly enjoyed dancing since I was a kid, but I find it exhilarating and liberating. It gives me a HIGH… People smoke weed and do coke, get drunk-I don’t know how that feels, but if they feel high, I need to tell them just one thing- DANCE!!! It will take you HIGHER! (if it’s a couple’s dance LOWER, if you know what I mean!)
I am not a good dancer myself - I have a tummy that bounces when I jump, hands so frail that they can’t support my weight and stamina so less that it would put Po, from Kung fu Panda to shame. But nevertheless, I feel ecstatic watching people dance. What I don’t like is, some people performing the steps to the hilt, with annoying perfection very mechanically. Dance has to come from the heart. I will cite a few dancers from my family who don’t give a damn about the way they dance…its bad...but they STILL do it anyway.
1.       My Grandma: She is 68. She jumps with joy (literally), when she listens to music. I am saying literally because her signature step is raising her both hands in the air, and jumping with her both feet, perfectly synchronized with the music. Remember Aamir Khan from Dil Chahta Hai. They borrowed it from her.
2.       My Mom’s Aunt: She points her hands skywards. And then she charges…Yep! With no offence, she charges like a bull, like a Olympic runner. However, the fun part is: she does it standing in one place, just like on an imaginary trademill.
3.       My Mother and Father: They feel the couple’s dance is in. Whether it is a devotional song, they want to Tango... But in this household, it takes 3 to tango. They pester me to teach them steps. I oblige. But they end up, moving off beat…but happily.
4.       My Maternal-Uncle: Dances as if he is in a fight with his imaginary friend. Fierce and frightening.
5.       My Maternal-Aunt: She dances with a groove. She has poise. But she needs space. And in India, where everyone wants to dance, it’s hard to make space for yourself. But not for her… She moves in circles, as if possessed. I am in tow (I am her favorite). And then we take the entire floor. Way to go Maasi.
6.       My Roommate: When he dances, he thinks Rajnikanth, he feels Rajnikanth. He does the pelvic thrusts with no or very less shame.
7.       My Best Friend: He is a non-dancer, a very gloomy, dull person. But then one day he shocked us all by jumping around here and there, wearing dupattas and Dabbang glasses. It was more of charade then a dance.
8.       My Other-Best-Friend: He loves to dance. But his problem is that he thinks that he is an amazing dancer and can perform all the steps that Hritikh can perform. But he needs a reality check..that too ASAP!
9.       Dancer Friend: She is a refined Bharat Natyam dancer, at least that’s what she claims! She is a BIG girl and thinks she smiles like Madhuri Dixit. Well, she might smile like her, but she sure hell can’t dance like her.
10.   Me: Well, as I mentioned earlier my dance repertoire is not cast in gold. I am hopeless, disoriented, sluggishly paces at dancing. But then when I dance, I feel it is a moment where I am alone, a private affair! For those moments, I experience pure spirit. A HIGH!

So people, next time you are at a party, just let go! DANCE, if not for any reason but for one- have feet, must dance!!!

(Leave your comments and share it with your friends..Spread the dancing joy!)

6 comments:

  1. hahahahaha!i like the way your mom's aunt dances!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome...i wna tell you something...
    how i see u in office n how i know u through ur blog are completely different..no..its is nt opposite..bt before reading ur blog, i never thought -- even u can think so deeply ..:)

    keep it up

    ReplyDelete
  3. you arent a that bad dancer after all :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. anonymous 1: haha...thank you! very mysterious u r...but everyone has several faces...
    anonymous 2: Thanks for the encouragement

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog
    truely said no matter how tall or short you are
    how thin or big you are just get our there and dance
    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete